Gets Weekends Off
seafeye
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Dec 2007
  • Position
    Hot tub for now
Quote: I plan to take the written in May or June, and should have the 1500 hours in August or September, so this reg doesn't really effect me. But I do feel bad for the people coming up behind me. This course is easily going to cost $15,000 to $20,000 at the FSI/CAE type places. The 142 sim schools are pretty much the only ones that are equipped and in a position to offer the classes, and they can set the price where they want.

As for the I-paid-for-my-ATP-myself crowd that thinks the new pilots should just quit complaining and fork over the money, a $15k-20K course is much less palatable than the $1200-2000 that it currently costs to go out and rent a PA44 and do an ATP ride. Not only that, but the costs of college and flight training have gone up quite a bit in the last few years. Going from zero to commercial at the local FBO that I teach at is right about $45k. Then add in the costs of getting Multi-addon, CFI, II, MEI, and thats at least $60,000 for training at a 'local FBO' these days, not an aviation university program. Add in college at a state school (another $50k, possibly more), then that brings the grand total just to be a commercial pilot to $110,000. To expect people to now pay an additional $15k-20k on top that (after CFIing for a couple years and getting crap pay) is well over what is reasonable for 'paying dues'.

At one time to be competitive for a regional you needed 2500tt.
Life isn't a race. Teach for a couple years, do some 135. If you get to a major at 35 you will have plenty of time to save for retirement.