View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 08:05 AM
olly
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by Flyinhigh View Post
Need some information on the FedEx Retiree High Deductible Plan and how it coordinates with Tricare Standard. My wife is under 65 and is currently on the Buy Up Plan. We are very satisfied with the coverage but the cost has gone up to over $6K per year. The High Deductible cost is just under $1.6K per year. Even with the $500 deductible and the higher copays it looks like this may be the way to go with Tricare Standard picking up the excess. My concerns are with the Tricare Allowable Cost being less than the Blue Cross allowable. If the provider takes Tricare as a supplement do they settle for the lower Tricare cost? Anybody have any experiences with this option? How big a deal is it to keep up with the paperwork? How about Pharmacy benefits; any surprises there? I know the open enrollment isn't until next November, but I am trying to get this figured out in advance. Thanks for any information.
I use just Tricare (no fdx blue cross) Rationale: BCBS w FDX is $200+ per month (=2400+ per annum + copay & deductible) Tricare has no monthly fees and a $3k catastrophic cap with $300 deductible, and 25% copay.

One would have to almost meet the annual catastrophic tricare cap (3k) to break even with the monthly BCBS monthly fees (2.4+k annual). The co-pays, can be variable dependent on usage, but if you have BCBS primary & Tricare 2ndary, tricare should pay for the co-pay, After you paid the BCBS deductible.

For me, lots of local providers accept tricare (understand tricare reimbursement rates are = medicare reimbursment rates). If you locale does not have significant providers that accept tricare (or medicare rates you situation may be different).

My out of pocket costs are zero until I incur the $300 deductible, and then 25%. No monthly payments. After I have paid 3k in deductible and co-pay, I have no out of pocket costs w tricare.

BCBS you will pay $2400+ in monthly fees even if you never go to the doc, then deductible + co-pays.

Echo calling the tricare reps they are usually very good. I persaonlly have had no complaints with this "single payer- governement health care system". Your mileage may vary...