View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 12:18 PM
FDXLAG
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
Flyinhigh,

I'm not sure if this helps, but from what we experienced when my wife had Tricare as a secondary insurer, was that she almost never generated any out of pocket expenses for visits to doctors or the hospital, above and beyond the normal annual deductibles. What that means is, our service providers always accept whatever Tricare pays, and we have never been asked to pay any additional monies.

As for paperwork, it's just the norm. We usually receive EOB's (explanation of benefits) showing a zero balance due, and if my wife doesn't catch me, I usually throw them out. On the rare occurrence when there is a payment due, it's usually that the doctor's office forgot to put Tricare as a secondary insurer. They then have to resubmit, and once more harmony reigns supreme.

Once your wife turns 65, she'll automatically be enrolled in Tricare For Life, which is a really great thing, as everything for the most part stays the same.
Nitpicking but if Tricare is secondary I think you mean your providers always accept what the primary pays. Tricare is simply picking up the deductible.