Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 11:27 AM
FlyBoyd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: FDX 767 FO

Originally Posted by CheapTrick View Post
Yep, this "wisdom" ****es me off a little too. At my large airline, time gets you the opportunity to apply for the 4th stripe. However, they do not give it away. You are going to have to get past the gatekeepers who diligently make sure you have the goods to sit in the left seat. It is earned even if you are so good that you make it look easy. You weren't born good. You worked to get good. That means you earned it.
I'll walk back my post a bit as is seems to have come across wrong...especially my last sentence.

My intent was to say that getting the opportunity to be the captain takes time. The opportunity isn't anymore merit based than your qualifications to be FO. If you are able to hold captain after the latest bid and you bid it, you will be scheduled for training. The earning of that opportunity is the time you put in. Even if you are the most dangerous FO on property, if you are free and clear of any issues, you will go to training to be a captain. That is the earning and merit I was speaking to.

That being said, your progress through training and subsequent check ride are obviously based on knowledge and performance.

No attitude here gentlemen. I'm just pointing out the interaction of time/seniority and contractual entitlements as they relate to upgrading. I apologize for the confusion caused by my previous post.