Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 12:39 AM
Packrat
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

Sorry, Kids, I disagree. When I upgraded to the 737-400, F/Os had a 4 hour systems oral. Captains had a 6 hour systems oral.

I agree. That was probably overkill. However, you clowns don't even know the basics about how the systems of your aircraft work. In the military, the operative theory was "know your weapons system." In basic training, they made us assemble an M-14 blindfolded. Granted, it never was useful, but it emphasized that you needed to know your weapons platform intimately.

I hated having to be able to explain the process of one molecule of carbon from a Pterodactyl carcass to the tailpipe of a 737. Today, I can ask an F/O if he knows what the Pressurization knob controls in a 737 and they not only have no clue, but they don't even know the nomenclature of the system involved. For those of you who don't know, the answer isn't the pressurization system...its the Cruise Relay.

I recently spoke to a SWA Captain who had no idea the SFP package was installed in their 737-800s. Apparently, SWA didn't feel it was necessary to tell their pilots that the system was installed on their -800s. While it is standard equipment on the -900s, its an option on the -800s.

He mentioned he had done a F25 takeoff. That's when I told him if he had done an F25 takeoff, the SFP package was on his airplane. Not only was he completely ignorant of the fact, he didn't know that the LE Flaps on his airplane didn't go to Full Extend until the flap handle was moved out of the F25 detent.

"No wonder it didn't slow down," he said.

Sad.

Know your weapons system, boys. Its a matter of pride.