Old 05-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

I worked out the numbers on my own as a comparison between flying for a regional on the one hand, and working a typical desk job on the other. It takes about 7 years- disallowing the cost of training even- to break even with the desk job. So, at least for seven years you cannot argue it's profitable to fly. There are many additional factors that stack up against applying to regionals which make the proposition less appealing. My analysis only looked at the money. If you have a crazy zeal for flying it may still be worth it, but from what I can tell very few make the kind of bucks we associate with the image of the succcessful pilot.

I am interested in flying for a living and I love airplanes, designing aircraft systems is my desk job after all; but I will have to practically fall off the earth before my outlook changes enough to get serious about applying to a regional. I have a pretty good job. For those who do not have such a job already or hate their present job, I would say what do you have to lose? Apply to the regionals; but be warned that thin hard times are ahead and at best you are going to break even.

Last edited by Cubdriver; 05-03-2007 at 02:57 PM.