Thread: ATP practical
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 07:11 PM
hindsight2020
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Center seat, doing loops to music

Originally Posted by Rusty17 View Post
Maybe I haven't been reading the new rules correctly, but wouldn't this essentially put every ALLATPs type place out of business and force all ATPs to be completed in a Sim?
No, an ATP written test and practical test (in said semenhole) is still required before they will issue you the certificate. So those services will still be required. What changes is the onerous and prohibitively expensive prerequisites delineated by the new FAR 61.156, specifically the 10 hours of sim time to include the 6 hours of level C FFS simulator time in a supra-40K MTOW type.

That cost is a non-starter to the majority of aspiring airline applicants, most military folk included. Even the Riddle kids will be sticker shocked by that kind of level C sim time costs. The only way that will work is if the airlines pay for it. If you're going straight for a major job and don't already have your ATP? yeah buddy.

I think that whole sim time requirement is gonna implode. But we'll see. To be completely frank, if my mil job disappeared tomorrow the first thing I'd do is get myself over to work for one of these heavy sim providers. Talk about a booming industry. I bet the hours and the pay are mucho bueno compared to junior airline life, free type ratings and home every night. Might even make enough money to afford your own recreational flying (I do already, but would like for that to continue post-military), which is all I'd need to go to get me through the drudgery of working on a box.