View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 11:26 AM
WARich
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2012
Position: Babysitter

Originally Posted by FlyinFresh View Post
I am a young c-130 guard pilot who is about to get off the full-time training gravy train with about 800TT. My career goal is to fly with a legacy airline and obviously I have to put my time in somewhere. Guard bumming might net me 200-300hrs max a year. So a regional airline seems like a more viable option to build time. I'm not to worried about the pay if I can move on to something better after 2-3 years because my wife has a great job. However to make that work I would have to commute to my guard job and a regional job.

Is this realistic or am I living in a dream world? Anyone have a similar experience or advice on a different path?

If I'm looking at this correctly would that mean sitting reserve for a airline 20 days a month, staying current at the unit for 4-6 days, which would leave leaving 3-6 days at home... depending on commuting.
Funny you should ask, I did this exact thing and it's pretty difficult. You're never home, especially if you don't have a line. Though, you can drop trips will mil leave to keep both sides of the fence happy. I was fortunate to get semi senior as a FO so I bid wed-sat. I would commute out on Tuesday, hotel airline rate for the night, and finish early on saturday to commute home. Sunday-Monday off and repeat. Though, depends on your commute to both. I'll only live in base now for the airlines (when I finally get hired), much better QOL.

Just my 2 cents.

Correction, I would probably live in base for the one that pays the most. But double commute sucks...actually at the time I commuted to my GF too.....talking about never being home...lol