Thread: ATP practical
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 07:01 AM
mrjiggs287
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Learnin' the 121 ropes

Originally Posted by MooseAg03 View Post
...As long as you complete the written prior to 1 Aug 2014, you then have 24 months to complete the practical without having to go through the entire new training process. To clarify, the new sim training IS NOT the ATP ride itself, rather it is just additional training required to be completed before taking the written after 1 Aug 2014...
I second everything MooseAg03 just stated! If I were not deployed right now I would post the e-mail I received from the FAA for further proof. The FAA stated the additional sim training is a pre-req to take the written test AFTER the new rule takes affect. I re-iterate…it has nothing to do with taking the practical. If you have a current written after the new rule takes affect you can take the practical just as you can today to include in a light twin, simulator, even a single-engine (although I don't know why you would…you'd then be restricted a an ATP SEL).

Another point I need to make here is this…as of the date of my e-mail receipt from the FAA (Nov '13), they had not even figured out what to include in the training requirements. I can't imagine that makes it easy to develop a syllabus. My advice to all is to knock out the written before the new rule takes affect, even if you don't think you will take the practical anytime soon…you never know…a lot can happen in a couple of years.