View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 05:57 AM
Fillmore Slim
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011

WARich......just a note of caution. Many of us AMC guys came to Atlas thinking it was a better flying life than the military. Most of us hired in the recent wave have realized it's not. Your schedule, believe it or not in the military is better than at Atlas. You will be gone more, make less and be begging for TACC back. Your 1Lt squadron scheduler does a better job then the entire scheduling shop at Atlas. Per Diem is on average 50% less then government rates. Most domestic hotels are on par with base hotels, and your dining options around those hotels are similar to on base. No more "less than 24 so we don't need a non-A." Overseas they are, on average, better. Crew rest requirements are worse. For example, you will operate HSV-STN-LUX, then take a 4-8 hour van ride from LUX to somewhere in Germany, and that's the norm. You will be lucky if you get 12 hours of crew rest between flights. Usually it's 10 and in some cases only 8. There is a giant disconnect between someone you meet at HR and those out flying the line. Please understand I'm not trying to discourage you, just be ready to accept that the grass may not be greener over here. This is a job, and that's about it. Every decision the company makes about your life/schedule/crew rest/security, safety and travel is driven by cost. I have had some good trips here, and flown with some incredible pilots. I would put the collective skill set of this pilot group against anyone's in the industry. Hopefully, when the next contract opens up, it will get better. If you have any other specific questions concerning Atlas vs Mil, please pm me.