Thread: Piper Apache
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 10:34 AM
mistarose
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Furloughed

Roger that. Thanks for all of the input everyone. I also noticed that the only hydraulic pump is located on the left engine, so if you loose the left engine you can only raise the gear by manually pumping it up.

I know in this particular airplane the gear doesn't effect the performance as much as other light twins, partly because they hang down 1/3 of the way when fully retracted anyway.

I guess as far as a takeoff briefing goes, say if we plan to "go" as soon as we have rotated and selected the gear handle to the "up" position. During the retraction process the left engine fails (I know this is highly unlikely but still), I think this would be a definite retard the throttles and land straight ahead - but at the same time while your only hundreds of feet off the deck and your trying to decide whether its the left or right engine and bla bla bla - thats too much thinking.

So maybe in this plane it shouldn't be a "go" once you have selected the gear handle to the up position - but rather once the amber light comes on which means the gear is completely retracted.

The decision to "go" of course also depends on obstacles and terrain in the area and the density altitude effecting our ability to fly on one engine.

What does everyone else think?