View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 06:05 AM
ExAF
Get's Every Day Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by charleyvarrick View Post
Thanks for the replies and input.

If you are under 40 when you receive your 1st class, it is valid for 12 calendar months (even when acting as PIC). This changed a few years back, sometime around when age 65 was implemented, if my memory serves.

">General Information - Validity of Medical Certificates
First Class Medical Certificate: A first class medical certificate is valid for the remainder of the month of issue; plus
6 calendar months for operations requiring a first class medical certificate if the airman is age 40 or over on or before the date of the examination, or
12-calendar months for operations requiring a first-class medical certificate if the airman has not reached age 40 on or before the date of examination,"

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...eral/validity/

That is why I was scratching my head when I received the "fix-it" e-mail. The Delta hiring minimums state that you must have a "current FAA First Class Medical." Well, I do. It's current until 6/14.

Anyway, I'm more than happy to go out this week and get a new medical if it'll help my chances. I was curious if this had happened to others. I would be surprised if the under 40s out there are all getting two medicals a year when they only need one. But, if that is what Delta wants, I'm ready to tow the line. Just thought it might be a technical glitch. And, cheap pilot confession: my company reimburses me for my medicals, but I doubt they'll pay me to get a new one when my current one is valid another three months.

I suppose, it could be an age discriminator if they made a distinction. In other words, if they allowed the exception for under 40, they would know ballpark how old the applicant was. Just rambling now. . . .
I stand corrected. Delta says they want a Class I within 6 mos. I still think you would be making a big mistake if you don't update your status with a fresh one. I'm sure the others waiting for an interview will appreciate it.