View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 07:41 AM
charleyvarrick
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Originally Posted by Catboatsailor View Post
For what it's worth, a friend of mine interviewed last month. This was brought up in the HR portion of the interview that they thought he had an expired first class medical. In the post "thanks for coming, but no thanks we won't hire you" portion, the head of Pilot Selection told him, again, that he needed to get his medical renewed, that he's flying on an expired medical. He went to our local FAA Doc and the Doc reiterated that he is in fact LEGAL.

Long story short if you want to work for a major, play by their rules. Get a First Class Medical every 6 months.
Well, I'm glad I brought this issue up. I think many people might get blindsided by what your friend experienced, especially if they were under 40, and their app got vetted for interview prior to six months from their physical and the actual interview occurred after six months. I guess I'm fortunate that I've been dinged before it might come to that.

Yep. They get to make the rules that they want to hire by. However, I hope they understand why there might be confusion. I would think that they should update their requirements from saying you need "A current First Class Medical" to you need a "First Class Medical issued within the preceding six months, regardless of age." This would eliminate any ambiguity about what they expect to see.

Glad my AME could work me in this week!