Old 02-05-2006, 11:52 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by mistarose
Thank you everyone for the help so far!

As for JMT21's situation:

At first It seems that it would be legal, considering the commercial pilots did not advertise or seek the customer to be flown back home. Also, the plane is being provided seperately.

Yet this sounds like a trick question...If a commercial pilot gains a reputation too transport anyone anytime in their aircraft, the pilot could be considered a commercial operator. The pilot is being compensated by the flight time, and transportation back - still, since this is a one time flight, I believe this to be a legal commercial operation, and can be conducted under Part 91.

??? well??
Since no money appears to have been offered, this really looks more like an act of charity. The ticket home is not compensation, every employer provides travel for their employees as a cost of doing business.

As to whether the flight time itself is "compensation"...you might have to look at the status of the pilot in the industry. If I were to arrive home after a 4 day trip in my airliner and someone were to imply that just giving me the opportunity to fly their light recip is compensation enough...I'd laugh in their face.

Even if the flight time is compensation, you do not appear to be holding out in any way.

I'm not advocating this, and don't tell the examiner this, but the way some folks have covered their ass in situations like this (assuming you're a CFI) by logging dual-given to the person in the other seat. Obviously, you can't do this for the same guy on a long-term basis, but it works for occasional deals. A flight review or some occasional hood work is entirely reasonable for a qualified pilot. A pilot might also legitimately want to take a CFI along on a cross-country if he is not real familiar with the route. A rated pilot can always get dual-given for any reason or no reason. If the passenger is not a pilot, then an Intro flight might be in order..