Thread: UAL Pool-ies
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 08:05 AM
worstpilotever
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Head pillow fluffer, Assistant bed maker

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Heres the deal with new hire classes. During 2013 the company hired hundreds of pilots and put them all on the 737. They figured that after the merger everyone would just stay in their current fleet. Well management and planning proved how out of touch they really were. For a year very junior CO pilots made CA and FOs held great lines. After the merger all the UA pilots started jumping off the shrinking 76T fleet into the 737. They were going from FOs to line holding CAs and reserve FOs to top 25% line holding FOs.

This trend is what killed the new hires. Its not that we don't need you its just that man power is all JEFFED up. The company can't train anymore 737 pilots until July because of all the movement so they can't put out any bids. We have a hundred FOs in EWR not getting used sitting reserve when all other bases around the system are getting slammed we desperately need 737 FOs just not in EWR, we don't need as many 320 FOs and 76T but thats the only place we can put a new hire. Everytime they post a vacancy in any base but EWR it is filled with active 320 and 76T pilots.

The company wants to put new hires in every base but can't without a vacancy but can't post a vacancy because they can't train the active pilots. They have got a serious catch 22 that only the fall pull down will fix.

So in the mean time we need the bodies we need the new hires but we can't put them anywhere. That is the reason classes are being pulled down and we have not seen a vacancy in March. Hang tight because in the fall (If the company plans ahead) the flood gates are going to open and there is going to be lots of movement. This place can do 100 a month just not right now because they don't have the instructors.

I know it sucks hanging at your regional for another summer but you aren't losing any seniority ground.
Can you guys sit reserve in other domiciles? Lets say I live in IAH but based in EWR, can I be on reserve in IAH on a weekly or even daily basis?