Thread: Alpa Fdx
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 07:56 AM
FoxHunter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by Daniel Larusso View Post
No need to call them, I went to the union meeting and heard it myself. If it passed by bill, the administrator has 30 days to implement but everyone
who was under 60 as dos is covered. Therein lies the mess. The FAA is unlikely to change it's internal processes and just like the incredibly drawn out requisition process leads to long waits for out-of date technology in the aviation infrastructure, the administrator is likely to use the NPRM process in this case. The word is that the FAA lawyers won't even have the language written until the fall so even if it's a short and uneventful comment period,(Thanks D. Webb, Wally, and take it in the back Prater!) it would likely be year end or later at the earliest for things to be effective. However since everyone under 60 at dos would be covered, companies would be in short term paralysis staffing wise while they wait for the final language. You can now go back to salivating over your furball.
Wrong, 30 days. Do you really thnk that thew FAA is not prepared for this change by Congress when the fact is that the FAA has been working with Congress? Do you really think that airline companies are not prepared? Do you not think the big bid this spring was delayed because FedEx knows what is coming?

I also was at a union meeting where the issue was addressed. I thought the answer by the leadership was less than candid if they really knew what was going on. The NPRM could be fast tracked and be effective by the end of the year. If Congress passes the change there will be no NPRM. In the event that Congress make it a law the rule will change no later than 30 days after it is signed by the President.