Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 PM
ImTumbleweed
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Originally Posted by kb8018 View Post
I have my first interview coming up, and was seeking advice on answering the inevitable question of why I am leaving my flying job in the Navy.

My commitment just ended in January, so I could have resigned 2 months ago. However, if I wait 9 more months, and get separated due to non-promotion to O-4, I will be 100k richer due to my separation pay. In my opinion, it seemed foolish to not bank the extra cash to ride out a few more months of a boring staff job.

My record has always been very good, EP's along the way, fully qual'd, NATOPS Officer, etc but the combination of force reducing and taking a non-competitive shore tour did me in. That shore tour, however, is what allowed me as a helo pilot to fly C-12s and pick up my fixed wing multi ATP, so I wouldn't be at this point without that job.

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar position, and how I explain that to the panel without sounding as though I am a sandbag. Thanks.
kb,

Your logic and planning sound great. I can't see a hiring person having a problem understanding your goals and understanding what you're doing.

I think you're being too hard on yourself.

If you had a solid record in the Navy (EP's), and no career speed-bumps (not getting normal/expected quals, failing check-rides, etc) you will do fine.

Your explanation of going C-12's would make sense if your goal was an airline job. You might want to mention that you "intentionally took yourself off the helicopter career 'fast-track' in order to build fixed wing time knowing you'd like to fly fixed wing in the future". You knew it was a career ender, but you made a deliberate decision as part of your 'life plan'. They'll understand that.

I wouldn't focus on the non-select to O-4 but be prepared to answer it...and again, taking yourself off the helo fast track makes total sense and is very understandable. More understandable with "force shaping" and budget cuts.

If I were you, I wouldn't mention the 100k separation pay unless specifically asked about it (might **** someone off-- don't rub it in their face). I would just say something vague like "I believe I might get some sort of compensation but that is still being determined by BUPERS-- which is the truth right? (don't lie).

Your reasons and logic are sound. The hiring/interviewing people will understand.

Don't be too hard on yourself, and don't ******up your interview.

Best of luck to you! You'll be fine.

Cheers!