View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 06:44 PM
ATCsaidDoWhat
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: What day is it?

Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
I was working as a ramp rat at Bay Bridge in MD. The weather was 100 overcast and about 1/2 mile. We were standing outside and heard a plane .... all of sudden a C-210 pops out covered in ice lands (sorta) gets the plane on the nose wheel and gives himself a nice q tip prop. The guy taxis in and gets a ride to the hotel and said he will worry about the plane tomorrow morning. and was trying to get to home to PA

Get work at 7 am he and the plane were gone. Bad enough he flew in freezing precip but I have no idea how he found the runway there was no instrument approach.
I used to be assistant manager there when I was in high school, many years ago. There used to be a couple of seriously looney tunes folks who would drop in from time to time and a crackpot who would call and yell everytime a plane went over his Antiques shop on the downwind for 10. Over 700 calls a day sometimes.

Had a guy come in one Saturday afternoon with a brand new Seminole the first year they came out. Hot dogged it into a parking spot and q tipped the right prop back about 6". Figured he was there for a couple of days. Opened the next morning and found a hacksaw and the prop tips back about 1" past the q, sitting on the picnic bench...

Love that place....great memories.