View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 04:33 PM
shiznit
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: right for a long, long time

Originally Posted by RiddleEagle18 View Post
If that is your continence I completely understand. Nice to have another yes vote period.

We can learn a lot from past ALPA failures, and we all need to voice our concerns during the MEC structuring process.

Personally I will be pushing for Silo style representation, thus not allowing a senior pilot takeover and forcing the juniors guys to also be involved.

I will also be pushing for membership ratification and strong constraints on the Chairman's abilities to sign side letters without review and voting.
Silo representation is not without flaws, and I hope you consider that carefully.

MEMRAT for everything negates the necessity to elect quality reps. As citizens, we don't MEMRAT every law passed at the local, state, and national level.

Elect solid leaders and let them be your voice.
MEMRAT is saying you don't trust your democratically elected representative.
MEMRAT is time consuming and also costs a significant amount of dues dollars.

The "Chairman" can't do much of anything without the consent of the elected reps... The role is to be the voice and arm of the master council, which is made up of the elected reps.

It is important to allow the MEC Chairman to have reasonable authority, if he has to go back to the MEC for every single thing, and the MEC has to go back to the pilot group for every single thing, the Company will have zero respect for your Chairman and the MEC as a whole. Part of electing a representative is the granting of authority and trust to act on your behalf.

This vote is only the first step. The real test will be when you have to place your trust in those leaders and the deeper study they've done into issues to trust their judgement on issues in the future. Unity and having an effective union is an active process, you have to live it each day. Elect good people and trust them to do a good job.