Old 02-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Atrain77

Thanks for your reply. It's funny you bring up ethical issues in these flight schools and affirmative action in the hiring process. I'm currently taking a class on controversial issues in management. The term paper I'm writing deals with the ethical issues in these flight schools and affirmative action has been a big topic of discussion in class. But anyway...

I understand your stance on the schools that offer way too many bells and whistles. What is a 200 hour pilot going to do with a type rating in an MD80? That is a huge reason I look at ATP. They DO offer some of these programs but the main program is primarily focused on the basic training and especially mutli-engine training.

I would consider staying and completing all of the licenses and ratings at my local FBO if not for my current situation. I currently have 25 hours logged, I've got another solo cross country and a few night flights until I've met the requirements for the private license. The problem is that I don't see the quality of instruction that I saw at Pan Am. Being a part 61 training center may have something do with this. I know that I will get a lot of on-the-job knowledge by flying cargo or instructing for a couple years but it seems like a solid foundation would be very important. I also see a lot of my colleagues falling by the wayside by staying at home to train. They find a girlfriend, their grandpa dies or their family starts up a business and needs help. All of a sudden they throw their aspirations away. Has anybody encountered anything like this? I'm thinking it would be smart to tell everybody..."I'm moving 2,000 miles across the country to become a pilot, don't bug me. I'm trying to concentrate." Haha, obviously it's easier with the support of family and friends but there are too many things to dissuade you from achieving your goal.

Rickair, I appreciate what you have to say. Hearing from you and other posts on this site, I think it's best for a young pilot to fly cargo or instruct for a few years and not set his or her sites on that jet job with 400 hours. The ladies would think it's a lot cooler but in the long run the experience would be much more rewarding. As for the FBO route, mine isn't going to cut it. I think I'll look into some others in the Northwest to see if there are some quality schools that offer reasonable rates. I'm still going to look into ATP some more as well. After all, I do have about a year to decide You don't hear too many airline pilot testimonials who went to FBO's but I'm sure they're out there. Did anybody out there have a really good experience with an FBO???