View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
blastboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: RC-3 Seabee. Skipper of the A21 cutter.

Originally Posted by FDXLAG View Post
As you pointed out water (matter) dosen't get destroyed, it just gets used and reused.
The water molecules don't get destroyed, that's right. But I think you should read the study again. Even though the water molecule may stay intact, that doesn't mean it ends up in the air again.

I wish I could find it, but there's another great study that measured the toxicity of the great lakes over a period of 40 years (1962 - 2002). The concentration (molarity) of toxic substances in the lakes increased over 33% during that time and it's slowly rising. When the facts about global warming, water pollution and air pollution are presented (from a reliable source), it's cold hard science (chemistry).

Projections can be just as reliable. After all, the aerospace engineers who build an airplane use models, simulators and computer programs to project how the plane will fly before it's built. When it accually does fly, it's performance is not far off from the projection models. The models and programs that environmental scientists use are just as accurate.

In addition, you might want think about acid rain and how that effects the water cycle/ecosystems. Acid rain has destroyed/contaminated acres upon acres of forests, wildlife habitats and large bodies of water. Economic growth is good for the industrial society we live in but the earth doesn't work that way. Nature doesn't accept Visa and you can't buy back the resources from her. You can't write a letter of apology and ask for forgivness. You'll see, when the resources become scarce, money will be worthless and people will be fighting over things like fresh water. I went without food and water for nearly 4 days a few years back, an experience I will never forget. Ever. Needless to say, I have never taken food, water and shelter for granted since then. I have learned to indulge in and appreciate the simpler things in life: how good it feels to have water run down your throat, having that first bite to settle the intense hunger in your stomach, sleeping under a roof and best of all, embracing your loved ones. Most of us need a life changing experience to have an appreciation for the changes mankind has reaped upon the planet, and there's a possibility that he will just run himself into the ground. But I'd like to continue living and see that my kids have a better place to live, and by doing my part, however small it may be, it will ensure that my children will have that much more of a sustainable planet. I heard a great quote from a highly respected marine biologist, "live simply so that others may simply live."