View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 06:58 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by ALTBUS View Post
Guys I should have made this clear, I apologize. I worked strictly in the 141 check department, I only did oral examinations and remedial ground work. The closest I got to an airplane was reviewing a maintenance log to ask questions. My company GOM did allow this, as long as I wasn't flying and it did not affect my rest periods prior to duty on.
To rephrase the question: Do I check the box on the..."have you ever been terminated?"....question? I've never heard of the term "moonlighting" as far as I know, if the company allows it and I wasn't breaking any flight time limits, this is acceptable??

When we talk about "termination" in an interview context it really means fired for cause (as opposed to layoff/furlough).

If you were a part-time ground instructor and got laid off that is not going to hurt your career. The question is do you need to check the box?

You could go either way on it. This will not be a problem at an interview, but it's possible that a computer-based interview screening system might lower your score, moving you down on the list of those getting called.

I would probably not check the termination box, but mention the layoff at the interview just to CYA so it doesn't become an issue during a background check after you take the job. I think that even if the interviewers see it differently, they should understand that you reasonably believed termination meant something else.

But only you can make the call for yourself...there's some risk either way. When you list employers on apps they usually have a "reason for leaving" section...you can put "part-time,r laid off"...that will also CYA.

This assumes that letter clearly states those reasons you mentioned. Definitely bring the letter with you.