View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 08:12 AM
EWRflyr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: 737 CAPT

Originally Posted by CousinEddie View Post

Yet we didn't get hit with a $45 million fine like APA did for their sickout which happened before C2000. If what UAL ALPA did was so off base then, where were the legal eagles that you claim we enraged? All I did that summer (and everyone else) was fly my published schedule. No picking up open time, coming in on a day off, etc. That is the primary factor that the operation could not handle. Had you been around then, I'll bet you would have done the same thing coming off the ESOP and having the USAir merger just announced.
Not that I don't agree with you 100%...

But DAL pilots did the same thing in the mid-2000s and the judge said they were performing an illegal job action by not picking up open-time. He made it clear to DALALPA they needed to inform their pilots to stop NOT picking up open-time. WHAT? Open-time pick up is a voluntary option. How can a pilot be doing an illegal job action if he flies his legally published full schedule each month? If I want to pick up a trip this month but then decide there are no trips in open-time I like until, I don't know, NEXT YEAR how is that a job action? Management really did a good job convincing the judge of that.