Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Mustangdrvr
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: 747

Originally Posted by Electra View Post
The only thing constant here is change. IAH went very junior at first, now we attract people who want to be there. Upgrade times were fast and furious when I was first hired, now it takes about seven years of seniority to hit the left seat. We hired close to 700 people in 2006-2007 and movement was brisk, before we stopped hiring for three years and nobody moved much at all. What is true today will probably no longer be accurate tomorrow. UAL keeps pushing back class dates, so attrition should increase, someday...

I can tell you what it looks like now and compare it to how it has been, but if you're just getting hired things will probably be a little different by the time you get on the line. Some things will stay true, however: PDX and SEA on the jet are unattainable for at least a few years, don't even think about it. DEN and COS are junior (at the bottom) now, it hasn't always been the case. SOCAL is attainable pretty quickly but movement is slow. TUS has shrunk significantly, it was on the ropes for awhile but has stayed open. I've been flying with the same FOs for two years who are hoping to get PHX "soon". Staffing is stupid low everywhere on the jet, so those coming on for the summer may be surprised by how much they fly/how quickly they hold a line. If you're on reserve, it isn't a stretch to say you might spend some time in the domicile you want, but as a TDY to cover for the week.
Yeah I completely understand things are always fluid and changing in this industry. Thanks for the insight Electra. I will just put my bids in, get through training, and enjoy the ride.