Old 04-16-2014, 04:58 AM
flygirl556
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Back in the right

I'm a female who happens to be married to another pilot-big surprise there. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages I see.

Some of the disadvantages are the fact that if you can't get your schedules to match up, you'll hardly ever see the person. If they work 9-5, at least you'd get to see them in the evenings on your days off. Also, because no one is home the whole time to do the day-to-day things, it all needs done on your precious few days off which leaves little time for a lot of fun-bills need to be paid, laundry needs to be done, groceries need to be shopped for and the place needs to be cleaned. Also, by marrying a fellow pilot, unless one of you is willing to quit flying, pay for a nanny, or live close to family, it's pretty hard to have a kid and hope they turn out all right. If the kid is having a rough day, you still can't skype a hug. Also, if you both work for different carriers with different hubs, one if not both of you is gonna have to commute.

I'd say the biggest advantage of marrying a fellow pilot is that they know all the sh!t you have to go through in this career. They get that training takes 2-3 months, you can't always talk, you may be commuting and away from home a lot with the added expense of a crash pad, and all the other less than ideal parts of this career.

Either way, like someone said before, you definitely need to find someone who is supportive, secure, not jealous and has a life of their own as well. Also, as someone else mentioned, I think it's a lot easier to find someone after you're settled in this career for a little while. Remember while you're doing everything to get that dream flying job, if you're married, that person is along for the ride too which isn't always fun. I met my husband when I was starting out at a regional and he's been really supportive throughout the last several years we've been together but it's definitely not easy. During that time, we've lived like gypsies moving every few years to follow the opportunity, we've spent a lot of time apart and have had countless discussions about our future depending on what airline I end up at. It's nice to have someone to go through all this with but it's a lot to take for that person who is along for the ride during this whole time. During all this time, my husband was with a stable company that lets him live pretty much anywhere. If he would've been chasing airplanes, upgrades and bases at the same time, I can't even imagine how difficult our lives could've been.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.