View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 06:57 AM
pilotgolfer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: A320 Captain

Originally Posted by Et tu Bluto View Post
220 miles from my driveway to the employee lot at my base. Under three hours all on interstate highway. I prefer it to flying because I can dictate my own schedule to arrive in base at a time convenient for me. The time required is just about a wash compared to jump seating when you consider showing at the local airport an hour before departure time, actual flight time etc. Having a car in base if you are on reserve or stuck between pairings: priceless. Also, many trips terminate in base long after the last available jump seat home, so I can drive rather than waiting til the following morning for the first flight out. The downside of course is 4 bucks a gallon for gas....

BTW, for the times I do jump seat to and from work, many thanks to the great men and women of SWA who have been unfailingly accommodating and welcoming.

I'm in the same boat...I have a 210 mile commute to Newark. I try to get 4 day. Trips that start after 10am. Having my car with me allows me to return to Newark on the later arrivals without having to spend the night before going home. There have been many nights on day four where driving home may not have been the wisest move. I will sometimes trade into an early morning departure if it's a good trip. I will drive in the morning of the trip...leaving home at 2-3am. I only do this when my flight is one leg to the hotel. I've never felt tired on these and having the sun shine tricks your body into being awake.