View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 06:41 AM
swaayze
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: DFW A320 FO

Getting a little help is hardly "sub-contracting" out parenting. I'd imagine they'll still have the ability to parent as much or more than a typical two-job couple, given his ability to be home 12+ Full days/mo vs. a 9-5er who has 8-9 days plus a few worn out hours each evening.

That said I'm all for doing what you have to in order to keep the help to a minimum - it's all give and take. Since 9/11 I've sacrificed significantly in potential pay/progress to maximize my family time. Wife only part-time substitute teaches when it's convenient and I spent many years at crappy regional FO pay to have the ability to not commute and have schedule control. As a result I've been to at least 95% of my kids' events and the wife is always available to them, but no I cannot loan you any money.

BUT.... with certain opportunities that fit your goals you bite the bullet and make it work for a time in order to meet the end goals. Just be sure to remember what's really important in life (hint: it ain't flying).

Good luck bluelion and I'll see you at the training center.