View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 01:31 PM
CptGSXR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2011

I only reply to this thread because I think 90% of people interested in making the airlines their career ask the same thing. I've been asked this many times in an airport but young high-school kids looking at college choices and their parents on deadheads sitting next to me wondering if they should fork over the 'roughly' 100k to get them started. (Keep in mind that tuition number can vary greatly depending on a multitude of factors)

So for them, for you, and for anyone reading this forum, here is what I tell them:

This is not an easy field to get into no matter what the flight school brochures tell you. Pilot Mills get you tickets but often not the time and experience you really need to be properly prepared for a career in the airlines, I'm talking the day to day and crew aspects particularly, as well as the schedule. It's a huge hurdle to get that 1500 and your first 121 Job, and despite what anyone tells you, it's not really any easier after that either. Major jobs are still hard to come by due to the 5 year back up of age 65. We talk about movement, but think of all the highly qualified guys ahead of you that have been racking up PIC for 5 years.

I would NEVER tell my kids to get into this career. However I know that I love my job and can't imagine doing anything else. You are the only person who knows how much you want to fly.