Old 04-20-2014, 09:59 PM
hannanmike
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2014

Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
Hi guys.

I am suppose to solo in a few weeks and I need to get my third class medical. I have done a little research regarding getting a third class medical, but I am not to familiar of any complications that would arise with having asthma.

My asthma is very mild and my physician, parents, and I all think it is something I am growing out of. I am currently prescribed albuteral, which I rarely use and have been previously prescribed for flovent (but never really took it because I didn't need it). I went to my doctor today and he is going to write a letter for me to take to the AME talking about the condition of my asthma and how it is truly mild with infrequent symptoms.

Do I need anything more? I am planning on scheduling an appointment with an AME soon for my first examination for third class. Is there anyway I cannot get deferred because I have heard that takes up to 6 months and I don't really want to postpone my solo that far back. Any information would be helpful, thank you.
My suggestion would be to try and talk to/visit your AME before scheduling an examination appointment. Most AMEs are comfortable talking to you on a purely "physician advice" basis i.e. off the records, before you schedule an actual appointment with them.

I think that would be your best bet. If you don't know an experienced & supportive AME in your area, you can ask on this forum