View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 08:13 AM
Chomeur
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: B 737 Capt

My first aviation job was flying a '58 and a '59 model C-182. This was out of a dirt strip in Maine. What a fun bunch of nutcases! Here's my memories:
1. Yes, they will steal the ignition key as they jump out, so stay over the top of the DZ.
2. How much fuel is in the tanks? You have to stick the tanks with a calibrated dipstick every single time. Then you, and only you make sure the fuel cap is secure or else a loose cap will allow all the fuel to be siphoned out by the low pressure air in flight. Ask me how I know...
3. Cowl flaps... full open in climb, full closed in descent.
4. In summer, the engines were quite prone to carb ice, a blast of carb heat every so often clears it out. Or...the engine occasionally would lose power completely, causing all jumpers to bail out right then and there. Keep your eye on the MP, if it begins to sag, full carb heat before it loses all power, and ability to heat as well.
5. You may be the one to call AFSS to insert the parajumping NOTAM over your DZ, don't forget.
6. Avoid aggressive slips with flaps 40 in the C-182, especially the old ones.
7. Don't forget to call ATC, like appch control, etc. or UNICOM if that's all there is with the 1 min to jumpers away, and the jumpers away call.
8. Jumpers love to mess with the pilots, like pulling control cables, stealing the ign key, etc. Sometimes the airplane would pitch down, maybe in retaliation, and make them weightless. My seatbelt was on, they didn't have any...
9. Have fun!