View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 10:50 AM
evamodel00
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Default Question on Rain Take-off

Hey guys quick question.

I noticed that in a 172 POH the following is listed.

"The use of full carburetor heat is recommended during flight in heavy rain to avod the possibility of engine stoppage due to excessive water ingestion or caqrburetor ice."

I am just wondering if this applies to take-off. Reason I ask is because I feel like during take-off since you will be pitch-up your intake under the cowling is pretty much exposed right to the rain.

Knowing this, would you be using carb heat on take-off in a rainy day (given standard OAT), or taking off with carb heat off, and then turning it on once cruise speed is attained?

The only accidents I've read of in this situation (which aren't many, just ones I've seen on forums), were engine cutting out during take-off in the rain, which is why I'm wondering if it is better to use it on take-off. Perhaps it would depend on loading and the airplane? Perhaps it is best to use it on first take-off but maybe not after a touch and go when the engine is warmed up more?

Thanks guys! And P.S. I don't mean during a hurricane downpour or something, I mean just a drizzly/rainy day when you want to practice in the pattern for an hour or so (Friday forecasts a bit of rain and if the vis/ceiling is sufficient I'd like to practice a bit then).