View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 09:38 AM
evamodel00
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014

Originally Posted by mooney View Post
Carb icing doesn't really have anything to do with engine temp. It's in the carb, not the engine. An engine running for 8 hours is just as susceptible to carb ice as one running for 8 minutes.

and regarding your "pitch up" it's basically your angle of attack, you're not just pitched up at 10 degrees or whatever plowing straight and level
exposing your intake to a full on blast, if that makes sense. Not that it would probably matter anyways.
Mooney,

Thanks for the input. Just to clarify what I meant, I wasn't trying to say if the engine is warm carb ice is less of a threat. I was wondering if carb heat on initial take-off wouldn't impair t/o performance as much as later on when it's warmed.

The reason I was asking was because there was a post on this forum a few years back of a guy whos friend's engine cut-out while on t/o in heavy rain (c-172) and had to land straight ahead. He said there was no warning, and since it was a forum post, there weren't many details. But that's why i was wondering if it's possible to drown the engine.