View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 08:01 PM
flyallnite
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Stay THIRSTY, my friends!

Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Here's some quick math to keep you up late...

A Billion dollars is a thousand Million dollars. When the company flushed our DB plan (with DALPA's blessing) to the PBGC, the Delta (south) DB plan was about 4 Billion 'underfunded', because Delta hadn't made -any- contributions to the plan during the Dot Com stock market boom.

With last year's 2.7 Billion, and this year's 3.7 Billion earnings forecast, the company could have put $4 Billion (4,000 Million) into our DC plans to make us nearly whole, to replace our DB plan, and still had "Record Earnings" in each year ($1.7 Billion in each year, while putting $4 Billion into our retirement plans).

Yeah, most of that money Delta is "Earning" is actually due to the PILOT contributions, through the loss of our DB plans and our pay cuts.

My 42% pay cut alone has been about $100,000 per year, for 10 years, which is $1 Million, PLUS my DB plan was worth $1.4 Million, 10 years ago. And there are at least another 1000 guys in my situation.

So put me down for a $2.4 Million contribution over the past 10 years, times 1000 others, we paid for the first $2.4 Billion of Delta's record earnings, but at least I'll get $4,000/mo. from the PBGC when I retire...so I've got that going for me.

Not even a thank you note from Richard...who, bye the way, got a 42% raise last year.
Until we ask for some, if not all of it back, is it any surprise that they're making these profits? We work, others profit. My W2 is no higher than it was 3 years ago. In my case, it really was a cost neutral contract. Can't wait to get that nifty tablet though. The whole "it's a short term contract" looks like it'll bite us too, what incentive do they have to even negotiate? We can't even stand up to a contract by memo abrogation. Nothing I've seen lately that says we'll go and get it this go around... DALPA is all about pointing at new captain jobs... as if they weren't coming anyway and they had anything to do with it. Oh yeah, we had to sign or the 717's weren't coming... whatever. Would have been 319's then.