Thread: USAF vs. ERAU
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Boeing 777-300

Default USAF vs. ERAU

I am a sophmore in high school and am starting to look at aviation colleges. i know there are a bunch of other threads like this but i have some specific questions. My ultimate goal would be to fly for a major airline (eventually fly the 777) i have done lots of research about this. i have concluded that the top two aviation 4 years colleges are the Air Force and Embry-Riddle. I know this is comparing apples and oranges but i can come up with some specific benefits and downsides to both.

Air Force-
Good: they pay for it, high class training, high # of hours logged
Bad: 10 years of service, (not working for any airline until the age of 32?) (you have to take lots of general edu. classes)

Embry Riddle-
Good: High class traing, very specialized trianing (only aviation classes), only 4 years
Bad: EXPENSIVE, not as many hours logged

i have had a hard time finding any sort of aviation major on the air force website, also what ratings do you get in the airforce?
as of now i am leaning towards embry-riddle simply becuase 10 years of service seems like an awful long time. this leads me to another question: about how many hours do you have out of college (embry-ridlle) and how long until you can get a job with a regional or small airline?

Thanks alot, ALex