View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 06:33 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by sqwkvfr View Post
That is a major misconception and absolutely not true.

Folks, do yourself a favor and educate yourselves on how this system works.

What he said.

CASS just certifies that you meet the TSA regulatory requirements to sit in the actual.

As to whether any particular airline will allow you to JS (actual or cabin) depends on their own internal policy, which is usually driven by reciprocal agreements (where both companies agree to allow each other to JS).

Most 121 ops have reciprocal agreements, through one mechanism or another.

But 121 allowing non-121 can be a sticky issue. There are several considerations...

Can the 135 op offer anything in return? Can their airplanes carry pax, or do they go anywhere that an offline pilot might want to go. In some cases I think tour operators have recip agreements where they give free tours to 121 pilots in exchange for JS privileges. At one point amflight had a JS agreement with my airline and I had a buddy who flew for amflight out of my home town. So one day we thought I'd "JS" and ride along on his circuit just for fun. Turned out that amflight's insurance didn't actually allow non-company pax...lot of good that agreement did, at least for my airline.

In some cases airlines would have recip agreements just out of goodwill, even though they knew the benefit would very lopsided or entirely in the favor of the 135 pilots. But that lead to another problem...

In the past certain bottom-feeder 135 ops would routinely require their pilots to use their 121 JS privileges to re-position on company business. That was most definitely NOT the intent...it creates extra hassle for all the pilots involved, and robs the airline of revenue. Companies need to just buy a revenue ticket for company-business deadheads, period. This sort of thing lost a lot of 135 pilots access to JS privileges.

Also even without CASS, cabin jumpseating can still be an option if company policy permits.

MOD INPUT: Be careful about security when discussing jumpseating. No details about specific procedures or lists of who allows who. If you have a legit need for that info, you can get it from internal sources.