View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 05:02 PM
flynavyj
Gets EVERY weekend off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: SIC

I left for government work (a desk). It's not the most exciting work, but incredibly stable, with good retirement, good pay (regional captain salary or better) and incredible benefits...it provides fantastic schedule flexibility with options for 8, 9, or 10 hour work days giving the option for 2, 3, or 4 day weekends depending on agreements between you and your supervisor. I put my CFI/I back to work and began doing city tours and instruction in a skyhawk...with an hourly rate similar to a new regional FO...keeps me flying once or twice a week.

I also have several friends from work who are doing the same. Depending on where you are in life though, you might find you miss the airlines considerably. One friend who made the same move as me started off very excited at the new job, and is now miserable. Another friend has decided to leave the job (partly because of an upcoming wedding, and partly to have some more "life experiences"). If it wasn't for having a wife and now 2 kids at home, I'd have likely gone back to the 121 world as well...or left for Flight Safety or something else similar...right now, the paycheck is to good, 401K is looking great, and the time home is huge.

Good luck in your choice!