View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 10:05 AM
RJSAviator76
Gets Weekend Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Let me chime in and put some things in perspective.

One of the big selling points in Dubai is "tax-free" status. Sure, there's no sales tax or income tax, but they have fees for everything. Also, the prices are so overinflated and your dollar goes much much farther back in the US than here.

For example, I went to Outback at Dubai Mall for a steak dinner.

Let me break down some differences. Bloomin' Onion in the US? $7.29... in Dubai, that's 48 AED or $13.09.

Porterhouse steak in the US is $23.99 +/- $2.00 location dependent. In Dubai, that same steak is 187 AED or $50.90. Don't want that big of a steak, and you want an Outback Special instead? In the US, $15.99, here it's 98 AED or $27.

Rent prices have gone insane. Literally insane. Where do you get 40%-60% increase in rent over a 18-month period? Right here in Dubai/Abu Dhabi. Ah, but Emirates will put you in free housing, right? Absolutely! You should check out their new housing project called Meydan Heights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zny7Sp-m3os

EK - Meydan Heights preview, get ready - PPRuNe Forums

This is their answer to increasing cost of housing. Sadly, this is echoed by most employers, not just Emirates, as the prevalent feeling is that Dubai/UAE is a prestigious and highly desired place to live and work, and no longer necessary to attract talent with higher compensation.

Simply put, salaries aren't keeping up with the cost of living, neither do the housing allowances, your dollar doesn't go nearly as far as it does back home, even in more expensive parts of the country, and the "tax free" status is a joke which doesn't do anything for you here.

Great many of us came here after our airlines or employers folded in 2008/2009 timeframe. I'm sure you'll agree that the hiring situation back then was much different than it is today. So my question is... why would you even want to come here today? Do you have skeletons that prevent you from getting hired back home? If not... be patient and keep updating your apps.