View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 02:10 PM
Starscream
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: B757/B767
Default Cover Letters and Loss of Medical

Greetings all,

I just learned that I may be without a Medical for a considerable amount of time. I've already been out 1 year 4 months, and at the moment it's looking like I may not have a Medical until next summer.

I've got no Loss of License protections whatsoever, and I need to find a job. I haven't started the search sooner because I was falsely guaranteed that I would be certified. Instead, I got a denial.

One stumbling block that I'm running into is that my resume pretty much only includes aviation experience. I've done nothing else of significance. I feel I have to somehow explain the need for a "career change" in my cover letter, but don't know how to address it without putting myself at a disadvantage to other candidates.

Naturally, the hiring manager for any non-aviation 9-5 type job is going to look at my resume and wonder why on Earth I would leave my 6-figure airline job to do something else that doesn't even pay half as much. Furthermore, of course I have no pertinent experience in the field, as all I've ever done is fly.

I have a 4 year degree in Communication/Media Studies, but zero experience in the field (no internships -- nothing).

I'm also going to apply to Flight Safety since that appears to be the only viable aviation job at the moment, but am a bit uneasy on how to address my loss of Medical situation with them. I'm sure I'm not the first, and won't be the last.

Any tips and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!