View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 04:54 PM
fatmike69
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: EMB120 CA

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
My understanding was that LOA's, AIM, ATC manual, etc. cannot extend the real regulatory authority beyond what is actually spelled out in the real regulations (FARs). There is no specific regulatory basis for a violation unless something bad happened or a runway got incurred (in which case certain FARs do apply).

Perhaps one of our lawyers can chime in?

Again this is a purely academic point, I in no way advocate doing anything but fully cooperating with ATC on the ground and in the air.
Unfortunately the FAA can and will violate you for making a wrong turn while taxiing. I know someone personally that received a 30 day suspension just for making a wrong turn (no ASAP was filed). It's all spelled out in FAA order 2150.3B. Here's a link to the publication (FAA inspector's compliance and enforcement handbook). http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...%20Chg%201.pdf

Specifically, reference page B-16 where it clearly states that failure to adhere to a taxi clearance or instruction carries a 30-60 day certificate suspension. If you really want to get scared, read the entire guidance table. Forget to write the flight time in the aircraft flight log? 30 day suspension. Write up the aircraft for a hard landing and didn't do an ASAP? 15-60 day suspension. Thank god for the ASAP program.