View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 01:13 PM
T45Heinous
Gettin paid to fly

Joined APC: Oct 2013
Position: BE-350

Originally Posted by Packrat View Post
Its all about image. Do you really believe the Tbirds or the Blue Angels are good recruiting tools?

I sincerely doubt ANYONE ever decided to become a military aviator just because they saw those egotists burn gas at an airshow.

^^^ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!^^^^

Kids and parents alike absolutely love the TBs/BAs!!! I would guess that many of the people that go to an airshow, do so because of these incredibly dedicated aviators (or "egoists" as you call them) only make a few dozen appearances a year. Being a military aviator, I have attended many airshows and children with wide eyes always want to come up and see you and talk to you. Even when I do a "gas and go" flying across the country, if there are children watching at the FBO, I will make a point to go up and say hello and ask if they would like to go see the jet or take a picture sitting on the wing. This outreach at an airshow or an FBO, by a Blue Angel or just an average joe aviator makes a HUGE impression, I for one loved going to airshows 30 years ago...is that the reason I'm a Naval Aviator today??...good chance!