Thread: DAL Poolie Info
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Erdude32
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: One with wings

Originally Posted by AJ8443 View Post
Likewise, info on commute from SEA to the junior bases (ATL, NYC, DTW) would be awesome. I'm guessing I'll probably need a crash pad.
Thanks
First off congrats on being hired. 2nd: Forget Atl., it's very senior and you'd be on rsv a LONG time. 3rd: I commuted Sea-NYC for 3 long years. Most of it as a line holder, winters on rsv by choice. Commuting to a Jr line you're going to end up with about 8 quality days off a month at home with your family. It'll be impossible to get a Greenslip & very hard to White Slip. Count on spending all your reserve days either flying, shortcall in a crash pad or commuting back and forth.

Good news is that with the rate of hiring & West Coast Expansion you might be able to hold LA or SLC by the time your freeze is over. Forget Seattle for several more years, I can't hold it after 8 years.

Do yourself & your family a favor and MOVE for 1-2 years a DO NOT COMMUTE. You'll be less stressed, well rested, MUCH better QOL and make more $$. Between the two I'd go for DTW. Very low cost of living, low taxes and affordable housing. IF I haven't convinced you not to commute, it's an hour shorter each direction and airport motels are around $40 out the door. 5-6 motels a month there is 1000% better than a Kew Gardens crashpad & cabs in NYC.

I'll never commute again, even if it adds several years an upgrade. Base you budget & retirement investing on narrow body FO salary and suddenly the stress/pressure is gone. Anything above that is gravy.