Old 05-08-2014, 07:19 PM
philiplane
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2011
Position: A&P/IA, CFI

Originally Posted by Bilsch View Post
As are dispatchers (and Railroad Conductors if we include other transport).
But they are not tradesman, as are MECHANICS. They have a different certification basis. A tradesman is distinctly different from other professionals mentioned. A&P's are the first and ONLY federally certificated maintenance technicians. Not truck mechanics, not railroad mechanics, not boat mechanics, not motorcycle mechanics, not air conditioning mechanics, etc. The list goes on.

No other trade rises to the scrutiny of an aircraft mechanic. That's why the industry is declining, because once young people find out they are personally responsible for their work, most of them go into other, similar trades with less regulation and no responsibility.

Pride in your work is important. Show your pride by dressing the part. Make more money, get more respect. It's not hard. I've been doing it for three decades and my wait list is months long. And I don't wear t-shirts....

My technicians would wear polo shirts, keep immaculate tool boxes, and get paid like the guys working at the Ferrari dealer, who also, by the way, do not wear t-shirts.