Thread: UAL Pool-ies
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Boulderian
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by BYOB View Post
I'd start feeling that way yesterday. At least that's how I feel with 12K TT, 7K TPIC, 4 internal recs, and nary a peep from UAL. Meanwhile several FO's with roughly 3K TT and 0 TPIC are already on property and flying the 737 or 767.

Go figure... Just when I started to think I had a handle on this industry after 15 years, someone changes the illusion/reality and I have to start all over again.
Don't compare yourself to these FOs. The FOs hired have immediate family members in the upper ranks of the airline or did a great job as interns (internship is essentially an interview too.) Some will deny it when you first ask, but when you dig enough you will find their link (parent, uncle, etc.) But proportionately there are very few FOs vs Captains hired.

The majority of the civilian pilots hired right now have been Captains at regionals, have 8+ years in the airlines, have been checkairmen/ IOE instructors, and have a clean record. Compare yourself to these.

The only reason United doesn't have PIC requirements to apply is to allow for those few FO exceptions. Otherwise, the industry is still highly competitive and United is skimming off the top of the applicant pool. Sounds like you are a good candidate so keep your application always updated.

Between being initially selected, and passing the online personality exam (never bring sex, politics or religion into the cockpit), United already choose to hire you. You have to either screw up the sim eval or the HR interview to make them change their mind.