Thread: UAL Pool-ies
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 01:52 PM
John Carr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by flythetube View Post
A few thoughts on the size of the pool - we do have that 134 number from the DEN CP on April 30, and I'm guessing at least 13 calls went out this week (12 out of the pool plus at least one that said no).
When I did my M&G, I was told that they wanted to keep the pool stocked at ~100. But that was in Feb, when it basically stopped and they had about 180-ish swimmers.

Originally Posted by Boulderian View Post
But proportionately there are very few FOs vs Captains hired.
This seems to be true, almost all the time. Back when L-CAL was hiring fast and furious (circa 2005-2008) there was a guy on this board giving class by class breakdowns of the all the new hires that he could. Most had PIC/AC time, with no TPIC being in the minority. Meaning sure, one can get hired with NO TPIC, happens frequently. But their resume/background compensated in other areas. PRIMARILY networking and contacts, interning, what have you.

The majority of the civilian pilots hired right now have been Captains at regionals, have 8+ years in the airlines, have been checkairmen/ IOE instructors, and have a clean record. Compare yourself to these.
Again, going from my M&G, the "average" (gottta read between the lines on that one) civ/regional new hire has 9000+ TT and 4000+ TPIC. I say AGAIN, "average". The "dark decade" and the stagnation it's created had definitely slid/skewed the numbers of the pilots that make of the civ/regional demographic as far as experience levels go.

The only reason United doesn't have PIC requirements to apply is to allow for those few FO exceptions. Otherwise, the industry is still highly competitive and United is skimming off the top of the applicant pool. Sounds like you are a good candidate so keep your application always updated.
True, and although this a UAL thread, that's actually the case at the other legacies as well without a PIC requirement. AA, DAL, and USAir have hired pilots without the PIC as well.