Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 01:38 PM
DasSchwerin
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: CL-65 CA

Wow Ameriflight isn't 5% as bad as some make it out to be. First off we are contractually available per our agreement with UPS to help load/unload the chieftains and 99s. This is not the case in our bigger aircraft. Also on the DHL and Fedex runs, they do all the loading and unloading themselves. The chieftain can't even carry enough to make unloading it that big of a deal. It takes 10-15 minutes max and its nice to move around a little bit after sitting in the cockpit a while. I flew the chieftain for 5 months on a UPS run in phoenix and then got upgraded to the 1900 with no previous turbine time. The dispatchers I've met have been good so far. They've gotten my rental cars when I'm TDY at another base so I'm not stuck at a hotel all weekend. Dispatchers at some of the bases I've been to are former AMF or 121 pilots and wouldn't dispatch you into anything they wouldn't fly themselves. I was hired in September and I was the only chieftain guy in class. There were 8 DEC for the 99. Id say turbine opportunities are pretty open here. There is also per diem when your TDY, at $35 a day. As much as it's sometimes popular to bash the company you work for, I can't in good faith do it. The main frustration with the company for me is the communication flow from management to the line pilots. Feels like your in the dark a lot about what your schedule or future plans are. Most bases try to stick to a published schedule 3 weeks in advance, but my base only posted for the next week. The planes break frequently, but I've never had anything that was a major safety of flight issue (yet). Also not all scheduels are 6am-10pm. The DHL run I was doing was 6:25am-6:30pm. The schedule is different for every run and every base.