View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 01:46 PM
chrisj
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Went thru the CFI program in Addison over a year ago. The program varies significantly by location. Obviously instructor quality, and each locations relationship with local FSDO play a big part in that. With that being said, I would only recommend the Academy in Addison or Pompano Beach. Those locations have competent instructors and management, for the most part, and the relationship with the FSDOs seemed half way decent.

The academy itself is nothing spectacular - it's semi structured way of getting your CFI/CFII done as quickly as possible. The way the program is structured, you do your CFII as your initial and CFI-A as the add on.

To be successful and keep cost down you need to go into the program with sharp instrument knowledge/skills (instrument PTS) and be able to fly most/all commercial maneuvers to PTS. Helps if you can get spin endorsement somewhere else also. The program only allots for 10 hours of flying (almost everyone goes over that) for both ratings - I finished both in 15 hours and spent just over 5 grand. It took me a total of 50 days to walk out with both certificates in hand. Ultimately, the program is what you make of it - they'll give you the resources and a quick sign off but you have to be motivated to do the work.

PM me if you want specific info on working at Flyers. It's not hard to get hired after completing academy - they hire almost 100% internally from academy.