View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 08:10 AM
ctab5060X
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by Baywatch3707 View Post
Got a big question for you that someone just brought up here at my flight school I thought was a pretty damn good question.

Can I legally log SIC in an aircraft at SeaPort Airlines that is Single Pilot Certified? Can I apply it towards the ATP?

61.51 (f) allows logging SIC time only if:
the type certificate for the aircraft requires two pilots or
the regulations under which the flight is conducted require two pilots.

135.99 (b) No certificate holder may operate an aircraft without a SIC if that ac has a pax seating config excluding pilot seats of ten seats or more.

I do know that 135.101 states "Except as provided in 135.105, no person may operate an aircraft carrying passengers under IFR unless there is a SIC of the aircraft."

135.105- Basically states that you can still fly under IFR without a SIC if you have an Autopilot on board, and certain other circumstances.

So what does all of this mean? So an SIC is only required if the flight is under IFR without Autopilot, or there are ten or more pax (seaport c208 has 9 pax). So it would be safe to assume that you can't log SIC towards the ATP flying at SeaPort. UNLESS, SeaPort's OpSpec requires a SIC on ALL flights. But if thats the case, I thought SeaPort has the potential for the Captain to fly Solo if need be... Just some food for thought.

Thanks!
Short answer is yes you can legally log SIC time in the Caravan. It isn't an OpSpec, but our GOM makes the SIC a required crew member for SeaPort operations, while still leaving the door open to operate single pilot if only absolutely necessary. About the only time we will operate single pilot is if we have nine passengers booked on the short Van (8 seats in the back) and we have to put a passenger up front.

Very good question and you will learn more about this during indoc.