View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Check Essential
Works Every Weekend

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: 737 ATL

Originally Posted by Reroute View Post
The old, outdated scope was 16 years old and didn't actually protect block hours (we are hourly employees after all), but I wouldn't consider the old scope a paper clip.

Converting the 316 weekly slots to annual block hours results in a value of 116,400 hours, representing 54 percent of the 2014 projected Pacific block hours.
LOA 13-03 protects 85 percent of all Pacific block hours. 85% > 54%
I understand what the MEC was trying to accomplish. I'm just feeling particularly argumentative today.

I think we sold our Narita scope too cheap. We've been doing that for a long time now. Its my opinion that we've been leaving money on the table with all the recent LOAs and MOUs. I don't think constructive engagement is working anymore. DALPA needs to get more aggressive. Management is outmaneuvering us and playing on our residual fear from the near death experience we had in bankruptcy.

I'm afraid its about to happen again with this 117 negotiation. We have a lot more leverage here than the union wants to acknowledge.
If our union had the will to do so, we could throw a great big handful of sand into the well-oiled Delta machine this summer. Perfectly legally and well within the bounds of the Railway Labor Act. But they won't do it. They'd rather maintain peace and good will toward men and have Richard come to their meetings in "closed session" and whisper some juicy info to them and stroke their egos.

We deserve more money. We deserve a union that will go and get it for us.

Don't misunderstand. I don't want the DPA. I want to keep ALPA. I just want to slap them upside the head and get some fire back into the organization. This "cooperation not confrontation" thing has run its course. Management is eating our lunch.