View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 04:54 PM
NightIP
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by FLYINGE View Post
I had a 767 captain on my jumpseat and he made the 767 at Atlas sound very bad. I think he was based in CVG and he said he does like 2 to 3 legs a night and all night flying for DHL? The reason why I want to work for Atlas is so I can have 13 days off in a row and when I work, I want to do 1 long flight and see different destinations all over the world. However it seems like the 767 is far from that.

Most of the 767 post on here have talked about how many days they end up working and how many on those can be on reserve, and that most flying on the 767 is domestic with a few international. Can one of the 767 guys break down their flying this month and last month? Like how many legs you did each day and where you flew to. Is it all mostly night flying? So if I get hired and end up on the 767, am I to expect DHL flying all night with 2 to 3 legs a night?
I'm on the 767, and yes, most of our DHL flying is multiple-leg nights. We do have a NRT-SYD leg, but with the exception of that route and some of the passenger flying we do, most of the flying is shorter-haul.

However, we do get some decent stretches of days off. My schedule for April, May, and June:

5 on / 13 off / 12 on / 9 off / 11 on / 6 off / 12 on / 9 off / 10 on / 4 off

All of those are either 3-leg nights flying DHL in Asia (TPE-NGO-ICN-TPE), or NRT-SYD. Not much variety other than that. All of these international DHL trips begin and end with long deadheads on company freighters, which can get old.

As far as wanting to do one-and-done flying...yeah...us too, but the seat lock discussion has been beaten to death over and over. The 767 will more than likely become the junior airplane soon, so if you really want to work here, don't expect the 747 right off the bat (you wouldn't get it right off the bat at any other decent airline, anyway).

Last edited by NightIP; 05-15-2014 at 05:21 PM.