Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Piedmonster
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: CL-65 / Gear Wrangler

Originally Posted by MatchPoint View Post
I am an expert at PBS, you need to understand a CN means the company screwed you and a PN means you screwed yourself!!!

Trying to get too restrictive for your seniority (weekends off, 22+hr commutable trips, etc.) and not properly opening up your bid by layer 7 is the most common way people screw themselves. The key to PBS is understanding how each parameter works in relation to each other both within a layer and as the system moves through each subsequent layer. My advice is to learn as much as you can about the defaults and properties because certain pairing and line properties WILL result in conflicts further restricting your line and causing it to move past layer 7 forcing PNs upon you.

Again a PN means you screwed yourself by not properly opening up your bid by layer 7 and a CN means the company screwed you by assigning a pairing they needed covered and you just happened to be the most JR crewmember it was legal to force the pairing upon.
Yes, please explain how I screwed myself...
Same bid as the past 5 months, every month has come out vastly different.

I don't bid hardly anything restrictive.
1: CDOs; 5h+ cdt/dp
2: locals, 2 days; 5h+ cdt/dp; 12hrs off between pairings
3: 3 days; 5h+ cdt/dp; try to finish at this layer; waive min cdt.; 12hrs off between pairings
4: 4 days; 5h+ cdt/dp; waive min cdt.; 12hrs off between pairings
5: CDOs, locals, 2 days (no restrictions)
6: 3days, 4 days (no restrictions)
7: no restrictions...

Also, by layer 4, 60%, and layer 5, 75% of all trips fit.
I bid 55%, so by no stretch should I have gotten PN trips all over my schedule.
And the PNs happen after the last layer awarded trip, which was a P5, so it had nothing to do with the layer 3 "try to finish"

Since I only bid by trip length and credit, with no other pairing properties selected. (no weekends off, trip mix, commutable blocks, days, nights, etc. None of that AT ALL)
So, I'm awfully curious how I restricted PBS' too much, or how the simple system was just too much for my lack of common sense or brain to handle.

Now tell me Mr. Expert, how I F'd myself.

Considering this is the same bid I've used for months, and can't get a single month to look similar to another. I haven't seen a PN in a year on my schedule. And only one or 2 CNs in the past year. Now the opposite.
I've been bidding with this POS PBS software for 3 years, and only 2x have I gotten such a POS schedule. One month, everyone was getting hosed. This month, as you assert, I screwed myself...

Last edited by Piedmonster; 05-19-2014 at 01:27 PM.